Friday, February 10, 2012

The Stanley Kubrick Collection: Ranked from Worst to Best


I have watched all nine of Kubrick's best films in the collection and now I will rank them on how much I like them in descending order. Enjoy!


9. Eyes Wide Shut - This is Kubrick's least favored work to most and for me. It just has a whole different feel and goes way too far on the terms of art.


8. Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - I find this film hugely overrated. The jokes aren't that funny, but it still has some charm and ideas to laugh about.

Full Metal Jacket
7. Full Metal Jacket - It's a very good war film and an excellent movie by Kubrick, but without the brilliant first half, it would seem just like a generic 80's war film.


6. Barry Lyndon - This movie is a little underrated, though very excellent. The only problem is that the trick Kubrick was trying to pull off didn't agree with my mindset.


5. The Shining - The movie is a top-notch horror, but it apparently doesn't stand up to the book and it could be done so much better.


4. Spartacus - Spartacus is a fine historical drama and action film, but it isn't the best movie I've ever seen.


3. Lolita - Lolita is a great boundary-pushing film for its time. It's not as out there as Eyes Wide Shut, and it's very dramatic and interesting, but it can get draggy and has a few character problems.


2. A Clockwork Orange - It's entertaining, artsy in the way of seeing a point, psychological, harrowing, and just a fine film, but the book tops it by a slice.

AND NOW, THE MOMENT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR...




.......................................................................................................





1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - The film may be painfully slow, but it's beautiful, unique, epic, futuristic, mysterious, possible, and a whole set of other things.

Now you know how my Kubrick marathon went. I'll watch his bio and then move on to...smaller?...things.
R.I.P. Stanley Kubrick

No comments:

Post a Comment