Monday, September 16, 2013

Tool: The Ultimate Review (2008) review



(8/10)

This documentary on the popular hard rock band and its rise to fame covers everything from the band's vague origins to their place in rock history after 10,000 Days. I believe this covers and glorifies their history fairly well, but it misses some key points I wished they would have touched further upon.

SUBJECT:This documentary covers the early origins of Tool, from beginnings in the band Green Jello to the details and criticisms of their sounds on all of their projects leading up to 10,000 Days and right in between, including lawsuits and past inspirations of the band. I believe the subject was discussed rather well overall, but it seemed a bit too biased. I heard almost only good things on the band and their style.



PEOPLE:The people in this documentary that were interviewed included members of starting band Green Jello, record executives, artists for the band's album covers, the band itself, and many other individuals the band has collaborated with. I believe they chose some pretty fair acquaintances and relations with the band, but I think they could have dug deeper and found some more personal relationships. However, I believe they did a fairly good job at choosing the people.

SCORE:The score and soundtrack is mainly laden with the songs of Tool and side project, A Perfect Circle, with some quick flashes of early influences like King Crimson and Green Jello, alongside Nirvana and Guns N Roses. I believe the people who arranged and edited this documentary did a good job at picking the music and incorporating it into the documentary.



OTHER CONTENT:As a biography, I think the basics of the band were covered very well. They covered the history, the collaborators, and their distinct style. However, I believe they barely scraped the surface of Tool. I expected them to go more into the art of the videos and the bands possible involvement in drugs. However, most of that was ignored or barely touched. Also, the documentary itself felt too biased. I love Tool and everything about them, but I felt like I was listening to a collection of only positive reviews. There were no possible negative views on the band, but a world of glory for them. I feel a successful biography needs a view from both sides of the story, so to speak. This biography covered the basics of Tool and their stories and glories, but I felt a better job could have been done.

OVERALL,a great documentary with well discussed subject, some pretty close relations to the band and their music, great music editing, and lots of glory to the band, but the documentary seemed a bit too biased, and it left too many questions of mine unanswered.

No comments:

Post a Comment